Posted to rec.woodworking
willshak willshak is offline

Default How to build a dolls house?

Sonny wrote the following on 7/13/2012 4:46 PM (ET):
Now I have a three-year-old granddaughter and (being a bit smarter in my old age, and having heard from her grandmother that this house better not take 5 years), I'm starting to formulate my plans. But I just can't see myself buying shingles :-)

Larry-

I've never done this, but just a thought - For shingles or shakes:
Cut your own thicker than normal veneer and either pencil in the
shingles/shakes over a whole sheet or cut strips (from the veneer),
then small kerf cuts to resemble shingles/shakes and overlap/stagger
the strips. Easy to replace, maybe, if any get broken.

Sonny

I made dollhouse hardwood flooring by taking apart the bamboo 'slats' of
a Chinese calendar. You know, the roll up wooden kind that used to be
found hanging in a Chinese take-out restaurant.
The 'slats' were about 1/4" wide so they would scale out to about 3"
wide in 1/1 scale.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY