Posted to alt.home.repair

Default IKO Roofing Shingles

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 17:15:33 -0400, "Gomba" wrote:

"Rebel1" wrote in message
Anyone have experience with these shingles?

http://www.iko.com/roofing_shingles_...nsulation.html

The second estimator for my new roof recommended this brand. He claimed
that Owens and GAF have had major warranty-related expenses, both having
filing bankrupcy to avoid payouts (mainly due to asbestos issues) and
screwing the homeowner. He claims IKO never did this, but in googling
around the discussion groups, a lot of people don't think much of IKO.

The estimator's recommendation was for the IKO Cambridge AR line. (AR
means algae-resistant.)

Back when I did a lot of roofing, used IKO 3 tab one time. I drive by the
house almost daily, the roof still looks good being around 15 yrs old. IKO
wasn't a major player around here, and was a hard shingle to sell, mostly
because people never heard of them. Also, the 3 tab they sold, was a
metric. But, now seem like all manufacturers went to metric on their
architectural coverings.

My last IKO 25 year roof lasted 17 years. It wasn't leaking yet, but
the eaves trough was constantly filling with roof gravel off the
shingles so I figured it was time.
I built my shed in '96 and used the same shingles. I'm going to have
to get up on that sucker one of these days and replace it too.