Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to build a dolls house?

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 15:16:28 -0400, Mark Ohlund
wrote:

On 7/12/2012 7:19 PM, Nick wrote:
Hello folks,
I'm from the other side of the pond and would much appreciate all the advice
I can get.
Our daughter has recently made us proud grandparents. This is a good thing.
My wife and daughter have entrusted me to make a dolls house for
granddaughter. This is not a bad thing.
I have enjoyed working with wood all my life and am reasonably equipped with
tools& know how to use them.
But.
(1) I have a tendency to get bogged down with detail.
(2) I would like to make something that Elouise [granddaughter] can enjoy
not only when she's old enough but also for her future.
(3) I haven't seen a dolls house for about 50 years.

Scale 1:12

Anybody know of good books or sites to get some reference please?
All tips and hints would be muchly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nick.

A couple of suggestions:

1. Why not make the house a model of *her* house (or yours perhaps)
rather than some unrelated house plan? Doesn't have to be perfect, just
recognizable.

Before my parents built their house, my father built a 1:12 model of it (50
years before SketchUp ;-), so they could "see" it better. It wasn't fancy,
just built out of 3/4" ply, three pieces (basement, first floor, and attic)
not attached together. No one played with dolls in the family so it sat in
the basement for 30 years until the grandchildren came along, when it became
quite a hit.

2. While you can buy doll house furniture, you'll probably get a lot
more satisfaction building it - and get better at it as you go along.
That way you can provide new furniture regularly at birthdays,
Christmas, etc.

Whoever invented the charm bracelet was a genius.