Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Need help with grounding rod, please.

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
An electrician showed me, at least near Pittsburgh. You pour water down
working the pole up and down with your hand !!! As the pole goes deeper,
add more water. It goes right down. I've done 6 foot rods. One got stuck
couple feet from top. Used sledge to get in a little deeper.

I'm sure I'll get at least one comment on this one !

Greg

ya, that might work on the beach. Not in dirt or clay.

I am not sure what kind of dirt that we have in the middle of North
Carolina, but I was told of the same way to sink a gound rod. I have put
down 3 rods at my house in "dirt" and they went in fine. Dig a hole about 2
or 3 inches deep and acouple of inches in diameter, fill with water. Then
by hand start pushing and pulling on the rod. YOu may need to add water as
the rod goes down. When the rod is a couple of feet in, pull it out and
fill the hole with water. Put the rod in and repeat. Soon the 8 foot rod
is all the way in. I did use a pair of vicegrips to get a beter hold on the
rod.

Part time electrician friend of mine has used this method many times.