Posted to rec.woodworking
Gramp's shop[_2_] Gramp's shop[_2_] is offline

Default How to build a dolls house?

On Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:19:19 PM UTC-5, Nick wrote:
Hello folks,
I'm from the other side of the pond and would much appreciate all the advice
I can get.
Our daughter has recently made us proud grandparents. This is a good thing.
My wife and daughter have entrusted me to make a dolls house for
granddaughter. This is not a bad thing.
I have enjoyed working with wood all my life and am reasonably equipped with
tools & know how to use them.
But.
(1) I have a tendency to get bogged down with detail.
(2) I would like to make something that Elouise [granddaughter] can enjoy
not only when she's old enough but also for her future.
(3) I haven't seen a dolls house for about 50 years.

Scale 1:12

Anybody know of good books or sites to get some reference please?
All tips and hints would be muchly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nick.

Your post brings back a lot of fond memories. 30 years ago, I began a doll house for my 4 year old daughter. She received it on her 9th birthday. I built just about everything by hand with the help of a 4" dremel ts. Cut every one of the shakes by hand (boring), built double wall construction so I could run the wiring between walls.

Now I have a three-year-old granddaughter and (being a bit smarter in my old age, and having heard from her grandmother that this house better not take 5 years), I'm starting to formulate my plans. But I just can't see myself buying shingles :-)

Larry