Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark Ohlund[_2_] Mark Ohlund[_2_] is offline

Default How to build a dolls house?

On 7/12/2012 7:19 PM, Nick wrote:
Hello folks,
I'm from the other side of the pond and would much appreciate all the advice
I can get.
Our daughter has recently made us proud grandparents. This is a good thing.
My wife and daughter have entrusted me to make a dolls house for
granddaughter. This is not a bad thing.
I have enjoyed working with wood all my life and am reasonably equipped with
tools& know how to use them.
But.
(1) I have a tendency to get bogged down with detail.
(2) I would like to make something that Elouise [granddaughter] can enjoy
not only when she's old enough but also for her future.
(3) I haven't seen a dolls house for about 50 years.

Scale 1:12

Anybody know of good books or sites to get some reference please?
All tips and hints would be muchly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nick.

A couple of suggestions:

1. Why not make the house a model of *her* house (or yours perhaps)
rather than some unrelated house plan? Doesn't have to be perfect, just
recognizable.
2. While you can buy doll house furniture, you'll probably get a lot
more satisfaction building it - and get better at it as you go along.
That way you can provide new furniture regularly at birthdays,
Christmas, etc.

~Mark.