Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default The Town That Never Retired

On Jul 13, 8:54*am, MM wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 05:26:25 +0100, "Brian Gaff"

wrote:
Is this series propaganda by any chance. The bit I saw smacked of set up..

Brian

If it appears on BBC, then yes, I agree. These two programmes have
attempted to show how we can all work into our 70s, as that is what
the government keeps telling us is going to be necessary. But the
truth is that even with healthy pensioners, they just don't have the
stamina and cannot be expected to be as flexible as 20-year-olds.

The results of the programmes are going to throw the government's
plans haywire. The pensioners shown were probably above average. There
are going to be many thousands who canot stand for longer periods, do
not have the dexterity to manipulate small items, cannot concentrate
too well and so on, exhibiting all the signs of natural aging in fact.
Imagine 75-year-old bus drivers driving your kids to school? They
could have a heart attack or stroke any minute.

No, what is needed is a fundamental re-think of the whole concept of
capitalism, because it is now coming to the end of its useful life as
fewer and fewer jobs are available due to mechanisation and robot
processes.

As for the young people in the second programme, what a bunch of
dropouts, largely!

MM

I think people should wind down slowly from work. A lot depends on
their job. It's one thing being sat behind a desk, quite another to be
running about on rooftops.
Eyesight can be an issue as well.
Probably do well in a supervisory position with their years of
experience.