Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default The Town That Never Retired

MM wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

Is this series propaganda by any chance.
The bit I saw smacked of set up.

If it appears on BBC, then yes, I agree. These two programmes have
attempted to show how we can all work into our 70s, as that is what
the government keeps telling us is going to be necessary. But the
truth is that even with healthy pensioners, they just don't have the
stamina and cannot be expected to be as flexible as 20-year-olds.

But may well be a hell of a lot more employable than plenty of those.

The results of the programmes are going to throw the government's
plans haywire.

Nope.

The pensioners shown were probably above average.
There are going to be many thousands who canot
stand for longer periods,

So you use them for work that doesn't require them to do that.

do not have the dexterity to manipulate small items,

So you use them for work that doesn't require them to do that.

cannot concentrate too well

Likely they can do a lot better at that than the average stupid kid.

and so on, exhibiting all the signs of natural aging in fact.

Who cares if they don't look as good as the average bimbo ?

Imagine 75-year-old bus drivers driving your kids to school?
They could have a heart attack or stroke any minute.

So can the 55 year olds too.

No, what is needed is a fundamental re-think
of the whole concept of capitalism,

Nope, every time we've tried that, we haven't been
able to do any better.

because it is now coming to the end of its useful life

Mindlessly silly, comrade. Its actually what you prefer that has instead.

as fewer and fewer jobs are available due
to mechanisation and robot processes.

The US still managed an unemployment rate of just 4.x% with
an immense legal and illegal immigration rate, and the participation
rate at an all time historic high, just before the clowns were allowed
to completely implode much of the world's financial system, again.

Nice theory, pity about the real world.

As for the young people in the second programme,
what a bunch of dropouts, largely!

Plenty who try to employ them find that.