Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Left coast headed towards flesh detecting table saws in 2015

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 07:44:54 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 7/12/2012 6:33 AM, Han wrote:

That's the "crux" of the situation. Gass is an excellent patent
attorney, and he has seized a problem and technology (flesh in proximity
to a spinning metal blade) and provided a solution to greatly reduce the
inherent dangers. He has done this rather thoroughly, so that it is nigh
impossible for competing technologies to bypass his patents. After he
approached TS manufacturers to sell them his technologies, they all said
he was making a solution for a non-existing problem, and refused his
offers (probably in part because they were afraid they'd price themselves
out of the market, offering a technology nobody was going to buy). Then
Gass (brilliantly, actually) went on a 3-prong attack. He started
producing some excellent tablesaws incorporating his technologies, he
lawyer-like started lobbying the safety agencies, and he helped start a
lawsuit to further the safety angle of his premises. (I don't know
whether he had any hand in the Ryobi suit, but it wouldn't surprise me).

Yes, he was a witness against Ryobi in the lawsuit, Han.
Page 3 of the appeal decision (another bad judgment, IMO)
http://www.ca1.uscourts.gov/pdf.opin...-1824P-01A.pdf
"Osorio largely relied on the testimony of his witness, Dr. Stephen
Gass, inventor of "SawStop," a"

Please replace the below listed words/phrases with the following, more
realistic descriptions, in order of appearance: "greedy"; "greedily";
"greedily"; "greedily"; "game the legal system"; "lining his pockets";
"sure thing"

excellent
thoroughly
brilliantly
lawyer-like
lawsuit
safety angle
surprise

Thanks ...

Precisely.

When Gass had a chance to be a hero (AND make millions off it), he
will be remembered only as a @#$%^&* lawyer by future generations.
Typical and very sad. I can only hope that review by an appeals judge
brings out the probable vengeance angle by him against Ryobi after
they failed to complete the licensing agreement.

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen