Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Nick is offline

Default Tools for tree pruning

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Jul 10, 8:21 pm, "Nick" wrote:
You could do far worse than a Silky saw.
Daft name, I know, but being Japanese that may be allowed.

I like Japanese saws too. My Silky saws are good pruners, but for
silly names I also like my very similar and equally Japanese "Ars(e)
saw"
http://www.ars-edge.co.jp/world/02pr...runingsaw.html
Yes, I did buy it just because it has a silly name.

I'm not a big fan of the huge two-handed Silky. At that size, I can
find better saws in Western style. I do like the small "super
penknife" folders though. They're great for stickmakers collecting
hedge timber.

I'm inclined to disagree with you Andy.
The one I have would not be described as huge. It is light in weight, has
very good balance and excellent cutting abilities. The extended handle
allows it to be used single or double handed. Haven't yet needed to use it
double handed even when cutting stuff up to about 100mm. Also the design of
the handle allows for a little distance between the user and the stuff when
trimming the likes of holly, brier or thorn.
Having said that, I bow to your superior knowledge. In the past I have made
do with bow saws for trimming, and have the scars to prove it. Old codger,
way behind the times.
I'll take a look at Ars saws.
Thanks,
Nick.