Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Laptop/Tablet?

On Monday, July 9, 2012 5:40:04 PM UTC+1, Nospam wrote:
On 09/07/2012 16:54, Steve Firth wrote:
> > wrote:
>> On 07/07/2012 20:15, The Medway Handyman wrote:
>>> SWMBO wants to downsize her PC to either a Laptop or a Tablet.
>>>
>>> Now obviously both have their upside& downsides, so what we are looking
>>> for is a review or comparison site that compares the two different systems.
>>>
>>> We can find plenty of sites that compare each with themselves, but not
>>> one that compares Tablet v Laptop.
>>>
>>> Anyone know of such a site?
>>>

>> Buy a "re-con" Thinkpad laptop from someone like "tier1" and replace the
>> HDD with an SSD - you'll then have FAR more performance than any tablet
>> with virtually the same "instant on" for less money.
>
> And unlike a tablet it will be a brick.

I assume you haven't any experience of the IBM/Lenovo X series - they're
certainly more substantial than an iPad but they only weigh around 1.4kg
(compared to about 0.7kg for an iPad) and that isn't too bad when taking
into account the hugely increased capabilities and the freedom to
install what you want.

twice the wieght and half the display resolution a bargin ;-)
what's the battery life like half too I'd estimate, it;'s also useful to have two cameras rather than one, but of limited use I guess.

I have a desktop, a couple of laptops and an iPad ... but it's the
x-series laptop with an SSD that gets used every day.

I use both my ipad and imac everyday and a PC at work every weekday.