Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How difficult is it to "build" a door?

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 16:32:45 -0500, Puddin' Man
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 13:06:50 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 7/11/2012 12:11 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 09:27:11 -0500, wrote:

On 7/11/2012 6:58 AM, Puddin' Man wrote:

Have been to Lowes, Restore, etc. Can't find suitable replacement.

That's hard to conceive there's nowhere in any place of any size at all
that doesn't have a "veritable plethora" of salvage building
materials...where are you located?

St. Louis, MO. They've all got "something": nothing fit all
that well.

Perhat Lumber
314.481.9302
6023 S. Broadway, St. Louis, MO 63111
accepts and sell architectural salvage, used lumber, used doors,
used brick, asphalt kettles, and various building materials

Surprised I couldn't find much else online...there's _got_ to be
somewhere w/ a whole pile of used doors to go through...

How difficult is it to "build" a door? 32 x 80 x 1.25"?

Perhat Lumber
314.481.9302
6023 S. Broadway, St. Louis, MO 63111
accepts and sell architectural salvage, used lumber, used doors,
used brick, asphalt kettles, and various building materials

I called. Evidently it's just a yard full of junk. I asked if
they *might* have an ext. door 1.25" in thickness. Poor gal
had noooooooo idea.

Surprised I couldn't find much else online...there's _got_ to be
somewhere w/ a whole pile of used doors to go through...

Habitat Restore. I've already done a walk-thru, but their stuff
is so disorganized I wouldn't be surprised if I walked right
by one. Will likely go back. Without AC it's brutal in there.

Can't spin a set of these except in large table-mounted router,
unfortunately, sorry...but, you're perfect excuse to upgrade!

Ah, lemme see ... whasis? $400 for the bits, $500 for a router
rig (but I'd need to stop and build the table?)?? :-)

I'm still of the mind to suggest keep looking for more recycle places or
just keep checking the stock at places you've tried or just bite the
bullet and rebuild the one you have.

Maybe if it drags into Sept. and I'm not in a strait-jacket.

I really think you'll find it less daunting in practice than the
trepidation before beginning. And, just think, once you've started then
you _have_ to finish!

Yes, yes, I've been in -that- situation ...

HD has got a Jeld-wen steel-skin 32 x 79 x 1.75" for $96. It's close, but
it'd be a headache.

Only if you are over 79 inches tall or have a real spring in your step

Thanks,