Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default door jamb question

On Jul 11, 9:17*pm, "Doug" wrote:
Refer to these pics in the URL below and in particular where the tape
is near the bottom of the door jamb. * Can I just splice out say 6" of
the wood where taped and just splice in another or do I need to
replace the entire jamb? * Meanwhile I did a work in progress spackle
job where the wood rotted (taped areas) to make it somewhat
presentable till I decide how to really fix it.

http://s456.photobucket.com/albums/q...g23314/Public/

What size wood(s) is used for the jamb here?

You have more than just a jamb there.

As far as I can tell, you have the jamb and three pieces of trim.

- The jamb is usually 3/4 stock by whatever width the jamb is.
- The first piece of trim looks to be 1 x 2 stock
- The next piece of trim is maybe 1/4" by 2". Something like this, but
with a bull nose to give it that profile:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...c98235_300.jpg

- The face trim may be the same material but without the bull nose.

Can you cut out the bottom and replace just the rotted sections?
Probably. Hard to tell since we can't really see how it's all put
together, but it seems like everything is just built up from the rough
opening material.

You might even be able to find some vinyl stock in the same sizes or
cut to fit so that it'll never rot again. Vinyl can be painted to
match.

Hopefully you won't find that the rough opening material is rotted
also, but you very well might.

Of course, the first question is this:

Why is the bottom of that entire area rotted? Does water collect there
so that the wood wicks it up? If so you need to fix that first. If
fixing the water issue is a real problem, then going with vinyl might
be a really good idea.