Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default How difficult is it to "build" a door?

Puddin' Man wrote:
Many Thanks. I'll study on this for a bit.

If you can use a thicker door, I would. The one above will be 1.25
(if the ply is exact or if you have adjusted rail/stile thickness to
compensate) but there isn't very much wood for hinge screws. You
can get more wood by using thicker rails/stiles and thinner
ply...HD/Lowes carry "door skins" that are 1/8". That is plenty
thick enough as the only thing the ply is actually doing is holding
the frame together and square. With either 1/8 or 1/4 ply you will
wind up with a light weight door that is strong.

You can also get more wood for the screws by making the door undersize
length and width and gluing/screwing on wood strips over the frame AND ply.

--

dadiOH

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net