Posted to alt.home.repair
Hell Toupee[_4_] Hell Toupee[_4_] is offline

Default Cleaning sink drain? ? ?

On 7/11/2012 3:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jul 11, 12:38 pm, Hell Toupee wrote:
On 7/11/2012 10:51 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Jul 11, 11:09 am, Hell Toupee wrote:
On 7/9/2012 9:26 PM, WW wrote:

"Ray" wrote in message
A friend tells me that there is a cleaning solution available which stands
overnight in sink drains to clear away grease build-up.

He also said that he had learned through some "tip sheet" that carbonated
soft drinks accomplish the same thing and are cheaper when you get them on
sale.

Is this correct?

Ray... A quick and easy way. Buy a Zip It at Home Depot or Ace Hardware
about $2. This is a plastic thing about 2 feet long with saw looking teeth.
Very flexible and will bend to go around the pea trap. Fast and drags out
hair and crud. Check it out on Google. This saves my taking the trap apart
and works in a couple minutes of my time. WW

I want to second, third, and fourth this recommendation. The Zip-its
are dirt cheap so they're disposable if you don't feel like cleaning
them after use. The backwards-facing teeth hold onto the crud and gunk
while you yank the Zip-it back up through the drain. Pull all the junk
off it, then run it through the drain one more time to make sure.
Problem solved in less than five minutes and for about two dollars. No
chemicals, no snake, no disassembling the plumbing. Whoever invented
these deserves a medal.

Before I'll agree with your "no disassembling the plumbing" claim,
I'll have to try it on my pedestal sink.

How long is the tool?

20 inches, 18 of that is usable. Seehttp://zipitclean.com/faq/

The company says they recommend using a snake for blockages that are
further down the drain than that. But using the Zip it on an
occasional basis in the future will greatly reduce the odds of such a
blockage recurring.

Why do you say that?

If the hair never gets hung up within the reach of the Zip It, what
purpose would using it "on an occasional basis" serve?

Because stuff could be getting hung up initially within the reach of
the Zip it, so removing it before it has a chance to move farther on
down, lodge and accumulate more would be prudent.

You must be assuming that some hair remains within reach of the tool
for a period of time and then suddenly, or perhaps over time, moves
its way farther down and out of reach.

Hey, you know what? That's actually been known to happen!

I'm not sure why you would make that assumption. It has certainly
never been my experience to find some small amount of hair in the trap
or above when I disassemble the drain to get to the section inside the
wall.

So that's been your experience with your plumbing. Many other people
have had different experiences. A lot of clogged traps have been
disassembled over the years. It's a shame that your setup is somehow
making it harder for you to clear blockages.