Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Left coast headed towards flesh detecting table saws in 2015

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Han wrote:

Who decides what's "exorbitant"? You? I haven't paid Gass a dime,
and won't.

I'm sure lawyers will determine that.

Which will be better than relying on your own personal opinion of what
is appropriate. On this particular matter Han, you scare me.

OK, let me clarify my reasoning.
Whether we like it or not, I believe that we are going to get sawstop
technology pushed on us by the safety people, thanks to Gass's lobbying
and his patent expertise. I hope to be wrong, and that it will remain a
matter of free choice, but I fear the nanny state(s)/feds will indeed
force the stuff on us.
If that happens, licensing fees need to be established in a monopoly
situation. I am pretty sure that some hi-faluting negotiating on those
fees will occur and that lawyers will take a large part in that, since it
is a question of licensing patents and determining what is a fair fee.
Previously I was throwing numbers in the ring for what I thought might be
reasonable fees. But I am not a lawyer, have no experience whatsoever
with patents, and dislike Gass rather strongly for his strongarm tactics.

--
Best regards
Han