Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Bending EMT

Mike M wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 22:11:07 -0400, Bill wrote:

Bill wrote:

I wouldn't be typing here, expect my bender is a Gardner #930, which
has an Arrow, and an A and a B marked on it's edge, and 2 levels. It
doesn't have angle lines marked on the side like the ones in the
tutorials! I've been looking for a manual for it.

The arrow is the basic line for doing take ups where you line up for
stub ups. Typical for stubs is -5", assuming 1/2" bender.The B mark
is for back to back type bends where you want your 90 degree bend to
hit the next perpendicular surface. The A mark comes in when your
doing saddle bends. Some times they use symbols depends on the
bender. After you usually make the 90 degree, in the area you want to
start your 3" offset put a 45 degree kick in. Usually for 1/2" you
can use your bender handle to measure for your next bend of 45
degrees. This is kinda of an eyeball thing where you just do it from
experience so you may find it easier to do your way with a protractor.
Good luck

Mike M

Thank you Mike M.! I'm afraid it's going to take a bit more than that to
make a conduit bender out of me, but I appreciate your effort!
I did notice that the Klein bender I was looking at today, had new
symbols on it but no manual attached! : ) They could learn a think or
two from the folks who make the Swanson Speed Square! For 32 bucks,
they could cover the open end of the handle with something. I think I
would just as soon use my own 48" piece of pipe anyway! Not having
experience, I can't be definite yet.

Thanks,
Bill