Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How difficult is it to "build" a door?

On Jul 11, 5:58*am, Puddin' Man wrote:
This is a continuation of the "Sagging Garage Door" saga from 06-17-12.

What with the Big Heat, etc, it's not practical to repair the door.

Have been to Lowes, Restore, etc. Can't find suitable replacement.

How difficult is it to "build" a door? 32 x 80 x 1.25"?

I look at the rail and stile construction and think "A Mess Of 2x8's, Some
Plywood (for panels) And A Table Saw". Of course, it's more difficult than
that.

I don't need anything particular fancy, just secure and reliable/durable.

Anybody built one? Can anybody help with little details? Simple mortise
and tenon? Which (exterior) glue? Fasteners???

* Thx,
* P

If the door opens inward, the extra thickness doesn't matter. If it
opens outward, the you need a thinner door. I would personally start
with a piece of 3/4 inch plywood the door size, and then add trim to
make up the edges to whatever thickness you want/need. We're talking a
couple of hours, plus glue drying times, and can be done in your
basement.

Your choice of saying garage door has caused confusion to some folks
who thought you meant an odd-sized overhead opening car garage door.
You should have said "garage side door"