Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cutting a fiberglass panel

On Jul 10, 3:11*pm, "TomR" wrote:
rlz wrote:
I have a fiberglass jetted tub with a front panel for access to the
pump. *The panel runs the length of the tub. *Recently I added wall
tiles along the walls where the panel sits. *This means I have to cut
the panel's length down by about an inch to fit in between the two
newly tiled walls. *My question is in regards to cutting the
fiberglass panel. *Is it fairly easy to cut it with a circular saw
with a cross-cutting blade? I only have one shot at cutting this
panel, and I don't want to damage it.

Rob

Here's a YouTube link that I found in case it helps:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj9mteIGgBM. *It was a little hard for me to
tell what they were actually doing on the video, but I finally figured out
that the fiberglass that they were cutting was the big sheet underneath and
the piece on top is just a guide to guide the tool.

Also, since you said you have to cut off about an inch, I wonder if it would
make any sense for you to try whatever method you are going to use first by
only making the first cut off be about 1/4 inch or so. *That way, you could
see how the material cuts before making the final cut.

Good luck.

The OP didn't say if it was to be a 1/2 inch on each end or 1" all off
one end. Depends on how it is fastened to the rest of the tub.