Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man Puddin' Man is offline

Default How difficult is it to "build" a door?

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 09:27:11 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 7/11/2012 6:58 AM, Puddin' Man wrote:

Have been to Lowes, Restore, etc. Can't find suitable replacement.

That's hard to conceive there's nowhere in any place of any size at all
that doesn't have a "veritable plethora" of salvage building
materials...where are you located?

St. Louis, MO. They've all got "something": nothing fit all
that well.

How difficult is it to "build" a door? 32 x 80 x 1.25"?

As far as slab construction others have mentioned it's not particularly
difficult (but then again, I don't see rebuilding what you have as
particularly difficult, either). If the problem perceived is one of the
opening being open while the weather's hot, as noted before a very
temporary piece of ply and a couple of tubafor's can close up the hole
while you're working on the door...

Actually, if you have "the right stuff" even panel doors aren't terribly
complex. Typically full-size doors use full-length or at least long
tenons instead of the "stub" tenons common on raised panel doors of
kitchen cabinets and the ilk. This means one needs an undercut pattern
bit to make the coping cut to match the stile cut. These cutter sets
are much harder to come by than the kitchen cabinet type. OTOH, it is
possible to either use loose tenons or just dowels...

But, there are a few manufacturers who have started recently--I like to
think my complaining has had some effect in this trend altho I don't
know it other than I did have several conversations w/ Lonnie Bird when
he was hawking for CMT about the lack and they introduced a set shortly
after. Other manufacturers have followed suit so apparently they're
selling enough of 'em to keep going...

Here's link to one of my favorite suppliers...Amana Tool--not cheap but
_very_ good. For a "one off" CMT, Whiteside or if you can find it in
some of the imports will last that long...

http://www.amanatool.com/routerbits/stubspindle-copecutterdoors.html

For your case you would use the 'screen door' set w/ slightly thicker
material.

Neat.

What have you available to work with???

Not all that much, really. Bsmt workshop. Craftsman TS. Little 1/4" router, in
table. Drill press. Some pipe clamps, hand tools.

Also note as somebody else has the caveats about material--plain-sawn
construction tubaX material isn't going to be very stable in all
likelihood.

And I'm sorta taking that to heart. :-(

If you can find and select material, Doug fir kiln dried
and selected to be near to quarter sawn would be a good choice. There's
almost no clear white pine on the retail market any longer; it all goes
directly to the window/door manufacturers straight from the mill or for
export--I tried to by some stock for new windows for the barn a couple
years ago and finally just gave it up as impossible for less than full
bundle quantities at higher than hardwood prices...

Thanks,