Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man Puddin' Man is offline

Default How difficult is it to "build" a door?

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 06:40:39 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

32 X 80 is a standard door size, so I assume you mean
you can't find just a door without the frame that will fit?

That's one potential problem. But the biggest is the
thickness. I foresee problems mounting a 1 3/4"
door in opening designed for 1 1/4".

So, why not just buy a pre-hung and change the whole
thing? That's how it's usually done and would seem to
me to be a whole lot easier and require less tools, skills,
fitting, etc than building a door. Also, since this door is
sagging, it would seem to me that replacing the whole
thing is the correct route.

Too much hassle and expense. Frame looks OK for the
application.

To a material extent, I'd *like* to make my own b/c
I can do it in my nice, cool bsmt. workshop whilst
the old door secures the gar. It's too damned hot
outside (and my health is failing).