Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How difficult is it to "build" a door?

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 08:17:03 -0500, G. Morgan
wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:

This is a continuation of the "Sagging Garage Door" saga from 06-17-12.

What with the Big Heat, etc, it's not practical to repair the door.

Have been to Lowes, Restore, etc. Can't find suitable replacement.

How difficult is it to "build" a door? 32 x 80 x 1.25"?

I look at the rail and stile construction and think "A Mess Of 2x8's, Some
Plywood (for panels) And A Table Saw". Of course, it's more difficult than
that.

I don't need anything particular fancy, just secure and reliable/durable.

Anybody built one? Can anybody help with little details? Simple mortise
and tenon? Which (exterior) glue? Fasteners???

A local door installer will have the connections to get a new wooden
section if that's all you need. Post a pic, and I'll identify it and
source a replacement out of Houston. Local is better though, if you are
in Houston you're in luck - I know a great installer.

If you find where door companies drop their "dead doors" in the back,
you may find a old section in near perfect shape in the dumpster. They
won't mind if you take it, they have to pay to dispose of them.

Or ask one of the guys to save you a decent section from a job, and let
him install it for $75 or so. Chances are good he has some in his
backyard for that exact purpose.

Don't mess with springs or a cable under load if you don't know what
you're doing - they can maim and kill you.

I believe the discussion was for the "man door"