Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How difficult is it to "build" a door?

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 06:58:26 -0500, Puddin' Man
wrote:

This is a continuation of the "Sagging Garage Door" saga from 06-17-12.

What with the Big Heat, etc, it's not practical to repair the door.

Have been to Lowes, Restore, etc. Can't find suitable replacement.

How difficult is it to "build" a door? 32 x 80 x 1.25"?

I look at the rail and stile construction and think "A Mess Of 2x8's, Some
Plywood (for panels) And A Table Saw". Of course, it's more difficult than
that.

I don't need anything particular fancy, just secure and reliable/durable.

Anybody built one? Can anybody help with little details? Simple mortise
and tenon? Which (exterior) glue? Fasteners???

Thx,

I've seen doors made quite simply with full lap joints at the
corners, glued and through dowelled. Cut the rabbets in the rails with
a table saw(dado) or router. Same with the lap joints. Much simpler
than Mortise and Tenon and almost as strong.