Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default How difficult is it to "build" a door?

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 06:58:26 -0500, Puddin' Man
wrote:

This is a continuation of the "Sagging Garage Door" saga from 06-17-12.

What with the Big Heat, etc, it's not practical to repair the door.

Have been to Lowes, Restore, etc. Can't find suitable replacement.

How difficult is it to "build" a door? 32 x 80 x 1.25"?

I look at the rail and stile construction and think "A Mess Of 2x8's, Some
Plywood (for panels) And A Table Saw". Of course, it's more difficult than
that.

I don't need anything particular fancy, just secure and reliable/durable.

Anybody built one? Can anybody help with little details? Simple mortise
and tenon? Which (exterior) glue? Fasteners???

Thx,

If you can't fix your door - and you were given instructions here -
why would you even think of making a door?
Doors are sold all over, cheap.
You want to make some windows and cabinets too?
Different story, different tools, and different discussion.
I've done some woodworking, with fairly expensive saws/routers/dadoes.
Wouldn't even think about making a garage entry door.
They're cheap as hell to buy.
And if I did want to make one, I'd study the "art" of door-making
first. Doubt you'll find many door-makers here.
But it's worth talking about. And that's my 2 cents.

--
Vic