Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How difficult is it to "build" a door?

On Jul 11, 7:58*am, Puddin' Man wrote:
This is a continuation of the "Sagging Garage Door" saga from 06-17-12.

What with the Big Heat, etc, it's not practical to repair the door.

Have been to Lowes, Restore, etc. Can't find suitable replacement.

How difficult is it to "build" a door? 32 x 80 x 1.25"?

I look at the rail and stile construction and think "A Mess Of 2x8's, Some
Plywood (for panels) And A Table Saw". Of course, it's more difficult than
that.

I don't need anything particular fancy, just secure and reliable/durable.

Anybody built one? Can anybody help with little details? Simple mortise
and tenon? Which (exterior) glue? Fasteners???

* Thx,
* P

32 X 80 is a standard door size, so I assume you mean
you can't find just a door without the frame that will fit?
So, why not just buy a pre-hung and change the whole
thing? That's how it's usually done and would seem to
me to be a whole lot easier and require less tools, skills,
fitting, etc than building a door. Also, since this door is
sagging, it would seem to me that replacing the whole
thing is the correct route.