Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Bending EMT

On 7/10/2012 11:01 PM, dpb wrote:
On 7/10/2012 10:01 PM, Bill wrote:
dpb wrote:

Gosh, you were making it sound like it wouldn't be too hard earlier.

Well, I wouldn't do it the way you seem to indicate you're going at
it--as I said, I'd just do the offset in plane (parallel to the ceiling
and the necessary double bend to get whereever it is you want it
alongside the stud in the perpendicular plane (vertical). Then there's
none of this trying to get some set of multiple angles to end up at a
(roughly) 90...

And, actually, having gone back and looked at your drawing again, I'd
probably "cheat" a little more, even...

Do the offset as described, then two 45s the first at proper distance
to clear the bottom of the header.

One question that wasn't clear...is the wall going to be covered in the
end or are the stud bays remaining open? If the former you'll just
leave the conduit to end once inside, correct? Just fasten it to the
stud in the middle to avoid nailing accidents as if it were Romex and
fasten firmly near the junction box...

If open, of course, I presume the whole reason for the conduit at all is
the hard protection for exposed run so you'll also have the offset to
hit the box at the other end to deal with...