Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Building a PC (for those that do)

John Rumm wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

Intel Atom board, no graffix at all :-)

Does a little bit of file serving web serving, dns, backups..
probably draws about 10W.

I'm going to use my Pi for that, just ordered a 64G USB stick for a
drive.
No fans, 5W.

Now how to case it?

well that is the problem. with the Pi.

needs a case, a power supply and and a SATA interface because 2TB of
mirrored disk caint be done with flash

I would have thought USB2 interfaced disk would be adequate for many
home server applications.

Hard to connect that to three computers simultaneously

Don't think you can connect SATA drives to three computers at once
easily either...

that was the point of the atoms server

and you can't plug a USB drive into that?

(sorry not really getting your point on this... my comment on USB drives
was not to suggest they would replace the server, but would be connected
to it, and would in most domestic situations not introduce sufficient
reduction in performance for it to be an issue)

--
Cheers,

John.