Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.home.repair
tony cooper tony cooper is offline

Default Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-SNikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens?

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 06:55:02 -0700, Savageduck

On 2012-07-11 06:16:56 -0700, tony cooper said:

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 00:09:11 -0700, nospam
wrote:

In article , tony cooper
wrote:

nope. only nikon makes af-s lenses.

You are correct. I should have written "AF-S comparable".

the word you want is 'compatible'.

No, "compatible" means they work together.

exactly! tamron's internal focus motor lenses are compatible with nikon
cameras that require af-s lenses. they work together.

Yes, they are compatible with certain Nikon bodies. But, I didn't use
it that way. I said they are comparable to certain Nikon lenses.
They are not compatible with other lenses.

I know this is deep thinking for you, but try think of the "comparable
to" and "compatible with" in order to choose the right word. It is a
more complex thought process than the usage of capitalization.

I think "nospam" missed the point of your correct use of "comparable"
when he was expecting to see "compatible". Context is everything!

Yes, he missed "comparable to" another lens as opposed to "compatible
with" a camera body. A lens can be both comparable to another lens
and compatible with a particular type of body, but that wasn't the
context.

It can certainly be true that there are lenses from Nikon and third
party manufacturers which are "compatible" with contemporary Nikon DSLR
bodies.
It can also be argued that some of these lenses, when compared, deliver
"comparable" performance and/or construction.
Then there are some lenses, which while being "compatible" for use on
Nikon bodies, including some from the Nikkor stable, which cannot be
described as in anyway "comparable" in performance or construction.

Try this:

Compatible:
(of two things) able to exist or occur together without conflict.
(of device) able to be used with a specific piece of equipment without
special adaptation or modification.

Comparable:
(of a person or thing) able to be likened to another; similar
of equivalent quality; worthy of comparison

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida