Posted to alt.home.repair

Default satallite TV

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 23:58:31 -0500, "Doug" wrote:

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:51:24 -0500, G. Morgan
wrote:

texas slacker wrote:

I have satallite TV and am charged monthly by the number of receivers
on line. I can readily buy the receivers and got to wondering how
does the satallite company know how many I have hooked up?

They don't. That is why they charge $5 extra if your box does not
"phone home" every month.

My Directv doesn't call home ever and I don't pay the $5 extra. They
can of course check thru the satellite if my receiver is legit or not.

Not check, rather they send out authorization codes which the receiver
matches. The satellite link is only one-way.