Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy333 Randy333 is offline

Default Wheels (of metal vehicle) straight, for safety

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 07:51:08 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article , cayoung61
says...

Today (July 10, 2012) there were radio reports of a vehicle crash, near me.
I searched for it on the web, but did not find it. What I remember is:

Driver of vehicle killed. (insert name) was sitting at an intersection. He
was struck from behind, by another vehicle. This pushed him into the path of
an oncoming driver, who happened to be driving a semi trailer, with a heavy
tank full of product. The driver was killed instantly.

When I was in Driver Education, we were taught to wait with our steering
wheels straight. So, if we were hit from behind, we'd go through the
intersection, instead of pushed into oncoming traffic. I guess the deceased
either didn't take driver ed, or decided not to follow the instructions he
got. And, he's dead.

I'm not sure how that follows. Sitting with wheels straight if you get
rearended you still go into the intersection and if there's an 18-
wheeler about to enter it at that time, unless you get rearended by the
Starship Enterprise at Warp 9 or something you're going to get hit
before you go all the way through the intersection.

Read the article. He was not at an intersection, he was on a straight
section of road trying to turn left into a driveway.

Driver trianing also taught that if you see you are going to be hit
from behiind you should push on the brake as hard as you can to
prevent your car from moving and being involved in second and third
crashes.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy