Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Building a PC (for those that do)

On Monday, July 9, 2012 10:37:20 PM UTC+1, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 09/07/2012 22:18, Rick Hughes wrote:
> On 09/07/2012 21:43, geoff wrote:
>

>>> PCI - 2 port FireWire
>> Does anyone still use firewire?
>
> Yep .. me ... for Video capture ... DVI straight into PC from Camcorder
> - avoids use of capture card, and gives you direct DVI files.
> Maybe when Cancorders start using USB3 FireWire will go away ..
> A Firewire PCI cards is only about a £5 anyway.

In case I was misunderstood ... I know that USB2 at 480 Mbs exceeds
Firewire 1394b ...

Only in theory, in most cases I've found FW faster than USB2.
480MBs is peak speed and rarely reached. But in relaity there's not that much differnce until you start copying 1000s files or really large single files.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_USB_2.0_or_Firewire_faster

"In tests, however, FireWire 400 delivers a higher sustained transfer speed.. Benchmarks suggest that hard drives connected with FireWire will copy information considerably faster than they would using USB 2.0."

I've actually noticed this as most of my macs have firewire and USB2,
of course 10GB thunderbolt is quicker but few support it and it's expensive..

but many digital camcorders had a Firewire interface.
This was useful as you could use pass through ... feed VHS in and use
the Firewire to provide DVI out to PC.

Maybe pass through to USB also exists ... not sure about that.

Assume they will migrate to USB3 and 5Gbs over the micro USB socket in
the future.