Posted to uk.d-i-y
NoSpam NoSpam is offline

Default Tools for tree pruning

On 10/07/2012 20:21, Nick wrote:
wrote in message
I've got a batch of tree trimming to do soon; some of the branches are
fairly substantial and high but my days of dangling in a tree with a
chainsaw are gone.
A couple of questions for anyone "in the know":

Are rope saws any good? They only seem to have teeth on one side so how do
they stay with the teeth against the branch?

Are there any good deals on electric pruners on extendable poles?

Are there any other toys I should consider?

You could do far worse than a Silky saw.
Daft name, I know, but being Japanese that may be allowed.
I watched a tree surgeon working recently and I asked to see his handsaw.
Then tried it out.
Very impressed. The chap told me it is the preferred choice of professional
arborealists.
An amazing tool, liked it so much I bought one.
http://www.silkyfox.co.uk/

This is one supplier but there are many others. Purchased mine from ebay.
I have no connection with Silky or anybody that supplies their saws.
Not cheap but excellent quality. I cannot think of any saw to better this.

Nick.

I'm a convert to Japanese saws for woodwork but the cost of a silky fox
pole saw would get me a long way towards a Ryobi petrol pole pruner -
which I now have a "tool lust" for ;-)