Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Bending EMT

dpb wrote:

Note the actual offset will have to be 3" _plus_ (say 3/4" assuming
nominal tubaX thickness) for the centerline of the joist _plus_ the
half-diameter of the conduit (doesn't say whether this is 1/2 or 3/4) to
get centerlines in right position--namely on the centerline of the joist
and flush against the side of the stud.

There are many similar to that in the old barn here done in a couple of
patterns; either looks fine. The easiest to do is to put the offset in
the plane of the ceiling (horizontal iow) and far enough away for the 90
to matchup directly perpendicular to the wall (parallel to the run of
the joist).

Yes, that would look professional. I appreciate the precision of your
explanations!

Or, the easy way out if the suggestion to not mount on surface is
rejected--use a transition flex conduit piece.

It could possibly come to that... If I was paying a contractor, that
would probably be my first choice too!