Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bending EMT

Bill wrote:

Well, they claim the tube bending is practically an "exact science".
I've got a pencil, ruler and a protractor so I'm not leaving much to
chance. When EMT is straight, it's easy to make accurate marks on it.
I've got three 8-foot pieces of EMT too, and I only need to do it
right once! ; )

That's right. But... get back to us after you've put your hand to bending
these bends...

My current problem is my bender is old and although I located its
patent, I haven't located a usable manual yet. I'm not sure what's to
stop me from making my own 30 degree mark on it, but I'd like to see a
manual anyway.

Have you tried the Gardner web site?

Just a piece of advice... don't underestimate the problems you may encounter
in bending EMT. You might just be placing too much confidence in your
understanding that bending EMT is practically and exact science. But - we
all have screwed up bends - and we all continue to do so from time to time.

--

-Mike-