Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.home.repair
Arklin K. Arklin K. is offline

Default Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR:

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:41:37 -0700, nospam wrote:

af-s means the lens has an internal focus motor so it doesn't matter if
there is one in the camera body.

This is great information.

So, do I have it right based on what you kindly wrote?

1. The so-called Nikon 'war camera' is likely to have a focus motor in
the body while the D-series Nikons I own (D50/D60/D5000) do not have a
focus motor in the body.

2. Nikon AF-S lenses have a focus motor in the lens while non AF-S lenses
have no focus motor.

3. I can use any Nikon AF-S lens in any Nikon camera and it will
automatically focus (because there is at least one focus motor).

4. I can use any Nikon non-AF-S lens in any Nikon camera but it will not
automatically focus in the D-series cameras I own (because there is no
focus motor).