Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default satallite TV

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 17:39:34 -0400, wrote:

They don't care how many you hook up but they will only authorize the
ones someone is paying for. There used to be ways to hack the card but
they got smarter, changing the codes all the time so it got so
cumbersome that I haven't heard of anyone doing it lately.

Rupert "bought" off the best hacker in the world for Direct TV. The
fellow was from Canada. It saved him from going to jail, so he
stopped giving out his hacks (under threat of penalty).

The cards in the receiver is matched to the EPROM on each receiver. He
taught Rupert (the company) how to issue commands and write to the
receiver chip, to avoid the hack. Each card is matched to the
receiver.

I only know from when I followed how people hack networks years ago.

Once stopped, stocks in Direct TV soared in price.