Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith[_11_] Keith[_11_] is offline

Default Deck Flooring

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Jul 10, 8:01 am, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have an outside (uncovered) Deck.
Live in New England.

Will be having a contractor come in and replace the Deck flooring which
after 30 years isn't too good. It seems to be now wooden planks about
5-3/4 wide x 1 inch thick.

Would like to learn about deck flooring a bit before having them come
over.

Looked in Google, and apparently these days there are many, many, types
of materials available for outside Deck flooring.
Everything from the simple pressure treated wood, to composites, etc.

Awfully confusing.

I am wondering if anyone might offer the pros and cons of the
"popular" types as regarding cost, life, wear, do they have to be
stained & maintained, warr., etc. ?

Again, we live in New England, so snow and ice laying on it in winter
(even shoveling doesn't get it all off), temp. extremes, etc.

Any good questions to ask the Contractors when they come over for
estimates ?

BTW: are they all fastened with screws rather than nails these days ?
Stainless Steel ones ?

Much thanks, really appreciate the help,
Bob

Just recover the deck with the new plastic recycled boards, they are
readily available and I'm very happpy with my TREX decking

I'll go along with this. I also used Trex (ten years ago) and there really
doesn't seem to be any change over time. I used SS robertson screws FWIW.

Keith