Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bending EMT

Bill wrote:

3" is the length of the offset!

Yes - I had somehow lost track of that as the conversations unfolded.

A straight 90-degree bend would have
offset 0. As you point out, the bender can only make bends of 5"
radius. I'll achieve 90 degrees in 3 (30 degree) bends, no one says
they have to be close together.

So - why do it in three bends? Did I understand that you are going to
achieve your offset within the 90, thus breaking the bend up into three
smaller bends with a slight rotation at "each" bend? That could work but
accuracy is going to be unpredictable - especially on your first attempt at
bending. As well, if you do that, you're going to have to start your bends
somewhat short of the wall, to allow for the travel of the offset in the 1/3
bend. You might not like what this looks like when you see it.

I wouldn't be typing here, expect my bender is a Gardner #930, which
has an Arrow, and an A and a B marked on it's edge, and 2 levels. It
doesn't have angle lines marked on the side like the ones in the
tutorials! I've been looking for a manual for it.

You should be able to download the manual from Garner's web site. I have
used that bender before and I don't like it - because of how they indicate
angles. If memory serves me correctly, they have markers for the common
angles - instead of the lines that are more common. Both ways work just as
well. For me - I'm a creature of habit and like to see the things I'm used
to, so I didn't like having to think differently with that particular
bender. It bent conduit just fine. I just had to think too much about it.

--

-Mike-