Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Bending EMT

On 7/10/2012 11:45 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Actually - you hit on something that I missed. He does not need an offset -
he can do it with 2 simple 90's. One 90 to run along the wall, and a second
90 to run down the stud. Much easier measuring, and less opportunity for
error. Sometimes the simplest things are the easiest to overlook.

If on surface, yes. It'll be tough to get the 90s in the 3" total
distance though--don't think can bend it that tight per the NEC
limitations (and be in Code, anyway). Assuming 1/2", and that he's
using a standard one-shot bender iirc the takeup will be 5" so he's
short w/ the 3"+whatever by about an inch of the distance for one 90.

I was presuming the "in the cavity" was a given but for that one still
needs the offset horizontally (1 90), turn for the extension into wall
(2 90) and down (3 90). But, two are in the ends of the runs, just one
separate. But, still given the short offset, don't think can fabricate
it w/ just 90s in plane and get the offset he wants.

I think the offset and down is the only practical meself given the
limitations on how tight a bend can do...

Then again, when I'm not actually looking at something what may be
obvious is often glaringly not... So, if I overlooked something
here, that's entirely possible.

Let's see though...somewhere in the not terribly distant past I happened
across a page that shows how to measure for a oneshot bender....ok,
that's not the same one but it'll do...

http://www.tpub.com/ceb/68.htm