Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bending EMT

dpb wrote:
On 7/10/2012 6:51 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
I see a 90 with an offset.

To achieve 90 degree angle with a 3" offset: Using 4 bends of 22
degrees, the muliplier (from right angle trig) is 1/sin 22 is about
2.7, so 4*2.7 =10.8" appear to be required. So, I would distribute
the four 22 degree bends evenly along 10.8" of EMT.

Please correct me as necessary, and mention how many bends would you
use for the same problem. Give some consideration to the final
appearance.

You've lost me Bill. Why not just bend the 90, and then bend an
offset below the 90, to run down the stud? Or, as I asked in a
all? It can run down the sheet rock, just fine. Use a good style
hollow wall anchor to clamp it to the wall.

Note the actual offset will have to be 3" _plus_ (say 3/4" assuming
nominal tubaX thickness) for the centerline of the joist _plus_ the
half-diameter of the conduit (doesn't say whether this is 1/2 or 3/4)
to get centerlines in right position--namely on the centerline of the
joist and flush against the side of the stud.

There are many similar to that in the old barn here done in a couple
of patterns; either looks fine. The easiest to do is to put the
offset in the plane of the ceiling (horizontal iow) and far enough
away for the 90 to matchup directly perpendicular to the wall
(parallel to the run of the joist).

Or, the easy way out if the suggestion to not mount on surface is
rejected--use a transition flex conduit piece.

Actually - you hit on something that I missed. He does not need an offset -
he can do it with 2 simple 90's. One 90 to run along the wall, and a second
90 to run down the stud. Much easier measuring, and less opportunity for
error. Sometimes the simplest things are the easiest to overlook.

--

-Mike-