Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bending EMT

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 23:37:15 -0400, Bill wrote:

Mike Marlow wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

2) Fab up a solid rod which can fit in the emt so you can clamp it
tightly while bending it, preventing it from twisting while you make
the compound angle bends. (Weld a doglegged rod to a thick flat plate
with a hole in it so you can bolt it down, holding that bottom end
while bending, KWIM,V?)

Holy Cow Larry - that's way over the top. Much easier to just use the
bender...

OK, then bend the 10' stick 90 degrees at the midpoint to give you a
way to hold it while bending a compound angle. Someting has to hold it
very, very tightly while it's being bent.

It got dark on me too early today. I'll give it "the ol' college try"
tomorrow. If I should fail my bending test, I'll go the FMC route.

Crap, Bill. Don't you have one of these? http://tinyurl.com/7x6bdp3
That or the dual-lamp type are enough to light up a white-painted shop
really well for work on the fluors.

Also, I forgot to mention a 5th possibility: you could string the wire
through the individual pieces cut to make the bends, then tighten them
together. Use discrete components (conduit and coupler) a few inches
long if you need to. No bending required.

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.