Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Circular saw recommendation pl?

On Jul 9, 7:36*pm, "Robin" wrote:

Any suggestions as to which of these, or others, is worth my pension
please?

Depends what you want it for. Mostly I use my fixed cabinet saw for
everything, because it's just neater and safer than a freehand saw. My
handheld saw is thus reduced to only breaking down plywood sheets. For
this I use a cheap, lightweight Skil (when Skil were decent). Being
small and light, it's a better saw for simple sheetgoods than "real"
circular saws. It is though fitted with a fine blade, and for these
small saws it is often difficult to find other blades to fit diameter
and bore.

I've also got a couple of Makitas that I use for onsite carpentry.
Either Makita or Hitachi IMHE are good choices. Bending the sheetmetal
is the usual problem. A sheetmetal base can get bent, so Hitachi can
win out here, but they also seem very easy to bend their riving knife.
If you can find any of the red "Site" stuff around, that seems like
very good value.