Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tree mill

On 2012-07-10, Karl Townsend wrote:
"The Kid" just bought a mill.
http://www.k-bid.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?klosteria330/76

The control is dead. Anyone know if this control is worth repairing?
Or has my son just bought me a winter project?

Well ... it depends. I've never used them, but the serious
machinist where I used to work considered them mechanically very good,
but that there were mostly problems with relays developing poor
contacts. This was back around 1990 or so, and I don't know how old the
machine itself was. (No, I did not get a chance to see it -- except
once at a distance going past on a truck to the surplus sales place
(Army base, FWIW.)

If this is of similar vintage -- the first thing is to try
plugging in new relays and see what that does. If that doesn't do it,
and if you don't get better advice, plan to upgrade it to a modern
control.

It appears to have servo motors, and linear encoders, so it is a
really good starting point for a conversion using linuncnc (was EMC2),
but it might be more of a problem if you were using MACH instead, I
think that is more focused on steppers.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564