Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default D-I-Y tubular bells - source of cheap pipe?

"Graham." wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 22:13:04 +0100, The Night Tripper
wrote:

Hi all
I am wondering about becoming the scourge of my neighbours(*) and
making
a garden set of tubular bells.

I'd like to find a source of suitable metal pipe. It should be:

- of decent diameter, say = 20mm
- non-rusting (within reason)
- cheap

Scaff pipe is a bit too hefty, and something like 28mm Cu pipe is a bit
pricy. Any thoughts about something in between? I'd probably need a bit
less than 10m.

(*) not really, it would only be for when the granddaughter came round...

Thanks
J^n

I am not sure if cu has a good ring to it.
What about something like cheap shower curtain pole or aluminium
aerial mast?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

It's fine. I have a set hanging in my workshop that I made years ago from
standard 15mm copper pipe. The 'ring' sounds just like any such wind chimes.
If you want to protect the pipe from the elements, spray it with Halfords
clear lacquer. This is made for protecting ally wheel rims and the like.
It's a real easy spray can, cheap, quick drying, and very tough. I use it
for all sorts of oddball uses. My three tubes are 32 cm, 37 cm and 43 cm,
which gives that nice 'mournful' slightly off-key sound combination that
makes these chimes so endearing to everyone ... :-) Each tube is
suspended using a fishing line through a pair of 3 mm holes drilled straight
through about 7 mm from the top

Arfa