Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Building a PC (for those that do)

On 09/07/2012 22:05, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 09/07/2012 18:56, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/07/2012 17:10, Rick Hughes wrote:

Been a number of years since I have built a PC from scratch .. had to
feed in loads of FD's to load Dos and W 3.1 :-)

I need a new PC at home, I have my spec sorted for a W7 64bit (apart
from case), and just wondering whether it's worth getting all the parts
and assembling yourself.

The physical build does not worry me nor loading OS / Apps .. .in fact
would order without OS as prefer to do this myself.

My concern was getting all parts that work together ... for example many
posts in forums of guys having trouble getting multiple banks of RAM, is
it a RAM strip fault a combination fault, a MB fault ... getting to
bottom of that could be expensive & time consuming.

Motherboard makers will publish a list of tried and tested RAM
configurations, and CPU models and steppings. Just buy stuff off the
"approved" lists and you will be fine. (you will probably be fine if you
don't!)

If they only charge around £75 for building it up .. maybe it's worth it
for that.

Or I buy a MB + CPU + RAM bundle and at least the 3 core items 'should'
be OK together and fully compatible,

--
Cheers,

John.