Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Building a PC (for those that do)

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message
On 09/07/2012 19:43, Alan Deane wrote:
On 09/07/2012 17:10, Rick Hughes wrote:

I used to build a lot of PCs, mainly from computer-fair parts or ebuyer.
More recently when anyone asks me for PCs I just point they at Dell's
website, as for the price / warranty it's not cost effective to build
them from scratch any more, and always a better looking end result IMHO.

They seem well built and I've not heard of a single hardware fault on
any of them yet. Pity the OS is rubbish... (Prefer Linux or MacOS
myself).

It's a DEll 9200 Dimension I have now ... just need to get a faster
machine as it can't cope with HD video editing.

I bought it from Dell refurb stock (you can search on line) ... as to
failures, had 3 HDD fail while under warranty ...

Yeah mate of mine got a Dell, not refurb stock,
and had some warranty replacements too.

bit worrying on WD Caviar Blue reliability.

I avoid those myself, but I use the Samsung 2TB Greens and
now that Seagate now owns them, they are hard to find.