Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default All the 3 caps blown up in the Graphic Card !

On 7/9/2012 9:22 AM, wrote:
I have this GF-8600 Graphic cards which has 4 1500mf 6.3v out of
which 3 caps have blown up. Should I change the same type or get caps
say more than 6.5v or bigger than 1500mf ?

The originals are soldered with a higher temp. than my soldering Iron
can handle. I am thinking of soldering the new ones at the back with
ordinary solder, and leave the original as it is.

Thanks for your help.

We had a similar problem a few years ago with the PC that runs our
selective solder machine. The manufacture told us they had to use a
different video card because of the capacitor problem. They had no
replacement boards.

Since we had hundreds of potential replacements caps on the shelf, we
replaced the one that was swelled up and that solved the problem for
about a year. Then same thing happened. We replaced the remaining
electrolytic caps and all has been well for a long time.

The solder will be lead-free, so you will need an iron that is hotter.
The alternative is to cut the cap leads, if you can and use regular
solder to place the new ones.

In all cases, be sure the polarity matches the original, and you will be
good to go.

Paul