Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Circular saw recommendation pl?

On 09/07/2012 19:36, Robin wrote:
Ancient B&D circular saw just died in middle of a bit of flooring
chipboard so I cannot wait for special deals. I have read the Wiki and
past recommendations. The Makita 5704RK looks as if it wd do me and is
within budget at £100 online. I've also read the recommendations for
the Hitachi C7 but am a bit lost as there seem to be so many variants -
C7SS, C7U2, CD7SA.

Any suggestions as to which of these, or others, is worth my pension
please?

The Mak is a well liked saw in general (I have the SF "Site" branded
version of it) - smooth, cuts well, fairly solid construction. Only
gripe with it is the lead is a bit short - but that may be one of
concessions of buying the Site version rather than the Mak branded version!)

I have used a few Hitachi saws as well, and generally like them -
especially their big 9" ones. The cast base plate is nice. The CD7SA you
are paying a bit more for its metal cutting capabilities (better
shrouding to control sparks etc). Some of the newer 7" saws have a
plastic / polycarbonate blade guard that is not as well liked by all.
(and the power ranger styling can be a bit of an acquired taste!)

Lawson have the Makita at a reasonable price at the mo.

--
Cheers,

John.