Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim[_28_] Tim[_28_] is offline

Default Laptop/Tablet?

whisky-dave wrote:
On Saturday, July 7, 2012 9:55:25 PM UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

They're a bit apples and oranges, i.e., not directly comparable.

What I will say is that since getting an iPad, I fire up the PC a *lot*
less often. The "instant on" capability makes it a much more attractive
device to use 90% of the time.

My windows machine is instant on, I never shut it down, just close the lid
and it suspends.
Its something apple copied.

Did they, when was that .....

BTW its also a 12" touch screen computer with a touch sensitive pen or
finger input and a keyboard and touch pad.

Its also thick enough to actually hold unlike the ipad.

Does thsat make it easier I have an ipad3 and it isn;t the easist thing
to take photos with or hold but I'm not sure if it were thicker it would
be easier to hold. Although I must admit if the iPhone was as big as an
80s mobile it might be easier to hold and it would slip down the side of the sofa.

If you do a lot of Office stuff and typing,
a device with proper software and a keyboard will always be better. The
iPad is also a great way of displaying & sharing photos.

Mine works fine for photos, however I have a ~£30 photo frame with built in
batteries that works far better.

I loked into photoframes and the resolution was rubbish on all of them,
even the £90 one, but maybe the term working better means something else.

I can't really say that there is anything an ipad can do that my windows
machine can't.

Does yuor windows machine have a front and back facing camera ...
one of the uses I've founbd of an ipad is I canb walk about having a
video chat and switching camera, using my thumb.

OTH my android phone can do most of what an ipad can do.

proably but can it do it as well, in most cases I'll guess NO.
I've a friend that brought a android tablet 'great value' 1/3d the price
of an ipad trouble is it has the tech spec but just inst good to use in
fact it sits in a draw being unused because it's so frustarting to use, a
simnple thing like scroilling through TV station just doesn't unless you
have at least 5 attempts at it.

Much as people love to knock Apple products, 99% of the time, the iPad
"just works", and damn well too.

Sure, it isn't perfect. The wi-fi has the occasional gremlin and of course
it won't play flash content but ours get used heavily all the time. We have
three in our household and my mother (age 86), inspired by David Hockney's
drawings on an iPad, plans to get on too.

Tim