Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Improving insulation and sound

In article ,
ss wrote:
Just recently got `free` cavity wall & loft insulation and would like to
further improve the insulation and sound insulation in a couple of rooms.
In one bedroom there are 2 windows which although double glazed have
minimum spacing between the glass (approx cm) I also hear traffic noise
through them.
I was thinking of using some 10mm polycarbonate sheet in a frame to make
a third `pane` . I am using this method as it is something I could do
myself.
Am I likely to gain much by way of heat loss and sound insulation or
would it not be worth the effort?

thanks

Normal double glazing isn't a very good sound insulator as the gap is too
small. If you fit secondary glazing the thickness of the wall away from
the original you'll get very good results. Glass will be better than
plastic because it is denser - the thicker the better. And it needs a good
air seal all round.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.